Thursday, 24 October 2013

Review: "Country Affairs" by Shauney Watson

It was the title which drew me towards this book instead of any of the other – what feels like hundreds – of books I have to review. I’m now glad that it was this book I chose over the others because it was a great read.

Firstly, let’s talk about the characters. I would say that Elsie and Tom are the main characters but, Mags, Bobby and Zen are also quite major characters in this novel. All of these characters are engaging in their own different ways. Elsie is a sixteen year old girl who most teenage girls would be able to relate to. All of the main characters have their own personality and traits which make you want to read more about them.

The novel was set in a village in the countryside. It seemed like almost all of the villagers had a part to play in this novel. Unfortunately I think this story had a few too many characters in it. After a while things begin to get confusing and the author is constantly having to remind us who each of these people are which ruins the flow of the novel. However, saying this, I do like the setting of the novel. The little countryside village, its shops and the stables is a great setting for this novel.

Half the reason I could only give this book four stars was because of the writing and grammar. The writing was ok, but at points it didn’t flow particularly well and the grammar wasn’t up to scratch. However, as I got further into the book the writing began to flow and I ended up reading the second half of the book in two large chunks.

I liked the general plot idea. The countryside village, it’s neighbours with their individual romances and the stables was a good combination for the novel, it worked well. However, I did think the plot was quite childish and a tad unbelievable. How many people would base their ‘life’ decisions around the ideas of a sixteen year old girl? I just don’t think it would happen.

To sum up, I would give this novel four stars. I would recommend this novel to teenage girls (and boys if they like this kind of thing), but I personally don’t think it’s the sort of thing an adult would read.

(4/5 Stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment