Tuesday 16 September 2014

Interview: Kelli Sue Landon

What have you had published?
Five mystery novels: Sudden Moves (YA), Nightmare at Camp Forrestwood (YA), Summer Shack: A Killer Vacation (NA), The Henderson Harbor Killings (Summer Shack Prequel-Book 2, NA) and Stranded in Time (NA) and one short story collection titled Short Tales.

What genre(s) of book do you write?
Mystery/Crime Thrillers (Young and New Adult)

What inspired you to write your first book?
Sudden Moves started out as an idea I had since high school. I sat down to write it as a story and it became longer and longer. I sent some of it to some friends of mine by email and they loved it, saying it needed to be published.

How long did it take you to write “Summer Shack: A Killer Vacation”? 
About six months.

What is the working title of your next book(s)?
Memories in Time (Stranded in Time sequel)

When and why did you begin writing? 
I began writing out of boredom. I would sit in my bedroom as a young teenager and take a blank piece of paper and just make up stories. Before long, I had a whole shoebox full of them.

Do you self publish your books or go through an agency?
I self publish (both by a publishing company and on my own through Amazon)

What part of writing books do you find the hardest?
How to piece everything together to make a good solid mystery and have it make sense.

What do you do in your spare time? 
I work full time for the U.S. Postal Service and work out regularly at a local fitness center.

Who is your favourite author? 
Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Linwood Barclay, and Janet Evanovich.

What’s your favourite genre to read? 
Mystery or Thriller

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Never give up and never steer clear of self publishing. Many successful authors publish their own books and are very happy with it. There are many ways to publish for free online and find cheaper ways of marketing without paying an arm and a leg (which I have done before). The more publishing you do yourself, the more educated you become in the publishing field.

Is there anything else you’d like to add? 
I find it best to write an hour a day – if you are having trouble finding the time, set aside one hour, no matter how much or how little you write. I find that this keeps the story fresh in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment