Tuesday 26 May 2015

Interview: Thom Young

What have you had published?  
I have had numerous things published but mainly my short stories in such places like 3am Magazine, Word Riot, The Legendary, and other lit zines.  I have had numerous poems published as well in addition to my novellas and novels.
What genre(s) of book do you write?  
I write all genres with my most recent a paranormal romance but I love horror and western and even wrote a few comedy type stories. I enjoy non-fiction as well and use to write music articles for a few websites.
What inspired you to write your first book?
I grew up in Texas so I have always been fascinated with the Texas/Mexico border and I knew that I wanted to write a murder mystery so I started this short story called Laredo Down and it kind of developed into a novella type thing and I was pretty happy with it.
How long did it take you to write “The Fallen Saga”?
It took me about 8 months to hash the idea out first then put it down on paper. I knew that I wanted to try writing a paranormal romance because that genre is very different for me so it wasn’t that easy for me to write, plus I always have various projects that I’m working on at the same time mainly with my poetry books.
What is the working title of your next book(s)?
It is called Damon and it is almost like a prequel to a book that I wrote in 2012 called The Neighborhood.  It is a horror story type thing with a lot of bad people in Dallas, TX.
When and why did you begin writing?
I have always written since a young age in journals or creating stories on my own or sometimes with friends. I can’t pinpoint when I started but when I suffered a severe brain injury as a teenager there was this new found creativity and now I know writing is just part of who I am.
Do you self publish your books or go through an agency?
I started out self publishing and a lot of my books hit #1 Kindle Free in various categories and now I work with a small publisher in Houston, TX and we do limited edition type chapbooks for poetry and for my novels as well.
What part of writing books do you find the hardest?
It sounds obvious but actually finishing a book because so many start and never finish and there’s a sense of self accomplishment when you finish one. Today you can finish one then edit it and then publish yourself on Kindle or whatever platform you want and you can start selling the next day. It’s easier than ever but to actually finish is the most difficult for me and to be satisfied with it.
What do you do in your spare time?
It sounds obvious for a writer but I am an avid reader but I also enjoy traveling. I also drink too much and I’m a horrible golfer. Living in Texas, it’s always fun to take out my guns and go shoot a bunch of stuff.  I also am a serious trout fisherman especially if I catch some.
Who is your favourite author?
I like so many but my favorites are Hesse and Bukowski.
What’s your favourite genre to read?
I love to read poetry and I like conspiracy type things or anything with history.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
The best thing you can do is keep writing and never compromise as long as you enjoy it that is the main thing.  You need to get use to rejection and know when to get away from writing as well.
Is there anything else you’d like to add?
My work can be found here.
Instagram  @thomyoung
Twitter @thomyoung17
Thanks for the interview

No comments:

Post a Comment