Friday 7 February 2014

Interview: Claire Davon

What have you had published? 
I have self-published two books so far.
What genre(s) of book do you write? 
I write contemporary romances. However right now I am trying my hand at a paranormal series at the same time I am revising a contemporary romance series.
What inspired you to write your first book? 
My first book dates back to when I was a pre-teen. I became inspired again a few years ago to pick up the writing baton and based the male characters on certain celebrities or famous figures I found interesting.
How long did it take you to write “Sense of Adventure”? 
My first draft of Sense of Adventure (at the time entitled “Hunter”) was written in three weeks. I put it down for a number of years and finally revised it over a two month period and self-published it in January, 2014.
What is the working title of your next book(s)?
For now, “Phoenix,” but that will change. I usually use the male character’s name as a working title. This book is the first of a four-part paranormal romance series and the titles I will choose will be linked thematically.
When and why did you begin writing?
I’ve been writing on and off since I was a child. One of my earliest memories was writing a Kids from C.A.P.E.R. romance novel with me and my friends as the romantic interests when I was eleven or twelve.
Do you self publish your books or go through an agency?
I self-publish at this time.
What part of writing books do you find the hardest?
Usually about midway through the story I decide it is the worst story EVER and it SUCKS and WHY OH WHY did I ever try writing? It’s powering through that time, just slogging through and persisting with daily writing until I get past that feeling that is hard. That and revisions, being ruthless with chopping words and filler plot points or meandering chapters in order to tell the story that really wants to be told.
What do you do in your spare time? 
I have a full time job so writing is what I do in my spare time.
Who is your favourite author? 
So many…for Romance: Ruth Wind or Marjorie Liu. Fantasy: Jacqueline Carey. SF: Neal Stephenson. But that is just the tip of the iceberg. Stephen King. Anne McCaffrey. Christine Feehan. Elizabeth Lowell. Neil Gaiman. Jane Austen. Dean Koontz. The list is endless.
What’s your favourite genre to read?
I tend to stay with romance (contemporary or paranormal), fantasy and science fiction, but one of my top ten favourite books of all time is The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Good fiction knows no genre.
Do you have any advice for other writers? 
Set a goal every day, whether it’s 100 words, five minutes or two hours, and stick to it. Do the goal you have committed to every day without fail. It will seem weird and awkward at first, that page will be very white and very blank, but the more you do it the easier it gets. And then before you know it, you have a working first draft.
Is there anything else you’d like to add? 
Good luck and keep the words going!

No comments:

Post a Comment