Saturday 27 April 2013

Interview: Kiki Terrell


What have you had published?
I’ve had short stories published before this - in a completely different genre.
What genre(s) of book do you write?
I write women’s fiction, both so-called ‘literary’ fiction as well as more popular efforts.
What inspired you to write your first book?
I wanted to write the type of book I wanted to read. Around the time I wrote this book, I was fascinated by some of the relationship dramas being experienced by some of my friends and the fact that it seemed like the women who were at the top of their game professionally, often had challenges in their romantic lives. I think that interest featured a lot in the book.
How long did it take you to write “Getting Some”?
Wow! It took me about four (4) years, between the day-job and taking care of my kids. I had a lot of interest from the first three agents I queried, one of whom was really helpful in suggesting edits. The last revision took about a year to complete.
What is the working title of your next book(s)?
My next book is called ‘Itch’. It’s part 2 in the Coco Devine series and features Coco, happily remarried, dealing with a wayward husband, a stepson and a baby of her own, and wondering if she’s experiencing the seven-year itch all married couples supposedly go through. Of course, Crash re-appears as well.
When and why did you begin writing?
I’ve been writing as long as I can remember, but I started sharing my short stories with other people when I was at university in the 90(s). Writing is a compulsion that has always been with me and is hard to explain, but I think that it’s one of the ways I process life, my experiences and those of people I know. That said, I also have a very active imagination, and the people living in my mind don’t leave me alone unless I write about them! Lol!
Do you self publish your books or go through an agency?
I decided to self-publish ‘Getting Some’ after a period of time corresponding with an agent who was very complimentary about the novel, helped with revisions and touted my best-selling potential – but never actually offered to represent me. I’d been reading a lot about self-publishing and the options open to writers today. I decided to self-publish the book and continue working on the series.
What part of writing books do you find the hardest?
Without a doubt – revisions/editing!!! The initial planning is great, the writing is fine, but going back over everything with a red pen and an editor’s eye is a really tough process!
What do you do in your spare time?
I love to read, bake and spend time with my kids. I also love movies. I hardly have any spare time, though.
Who is your favourite author?
I love Sophie Kinsella, Terry McMillan, Octavia Butler, Leanne Shapton, Toni Morrison, Zadie Smith, Joanna Harris, Fay Weldon and others too numerous to mention!
What’s your favourite genre to read?
I love contemporary fiction, so-called ‘women’s fiction’ and literary fiction – especially when all three genres appear in one novel!
Do you have any advice for other writers?
Read. Read. Read some more. Believe in what you’re writing and be ruthless with your editing.
Is there anything else you’d like to add?
Just a big thank-you to everyone who’s bought the book so far and contacted me to say they loved it. I’m happy to talk to my readers, other authors and book-lovers via email on tamarindtreepublishing@gmail.com, on Wattapad @KikiTerrell2013 and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/KikiTerrell .

No comments:

Post a Comment