Friday 3 May 2013

Review: "In My Dreams" by Lynn Davis

To start with I wasn’t too keen on the storyline because although it is a fiction story I believe that it should still be believable. A good writer can make even the most unbelievable things believable and for me this storyline just wasn’t realistic. However, the ending (which I’m not going to reveal so you’ll have to read the story) made me rethink the whole story and bumped this up from 3.5 stars to 4 stars.

The major problem with this story is the amount of errors it contains, from spelling errors to typing errors and quite often the same thing will be repeated twice (e.g. “He pulled the straps of her dress down”… half a page later “…reached for the straps of her dress, never taking her eyes off his as she pulled them down”). To me this looks like the story has been published way before it was ready to be released to the public and it’s a shame because there is great potential for this story if it had just had a little more time spent on it.

That said, I am still going to give this story 4 stars because of the descriptive writing and character development. Reading this story you can imagine the characters of Destiny and James and the situation they are in. It takes skill to bring characters to life but that’s a skill that Lynn Davis has.

(4/5 Stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment