Wednesday 2 July 2014

Camp NaNoWriMo - Day 2

Image Courtesy of Camp NaNoWriMo
Average Words Per Day
1,613
Your Average Per Day
1,321
Words Written Today
2,313
Target Word Count
50,000
Total Words Written
3,634
Words Remaining
46,366
Words Per Day To Finish On Time
1,546





Today I made up for yesterday and did slightly over today's target - for how long I'll stay in this position I don't know, probably not very long. I have now 'finished' Chapter One and started on Chapter Two. By finished I mean for today, I will probably look over it tomorrow and this is only the first draft, I will do several more drafts once I've completed the whole story.

Yesterday I introduced the character of Jamie to you all - click here to see Jamie's profile - today I'm going to provide you with a little extract. This is the first time the reader meets Jamie.

Extract

Jamie pulled her straight copper hair into a high ponytail. Looking at her reflection in a window pane, she tugged the hair band out again. She shook her head and ran her fingers through her hair to neaten it up again.
“That’s not right,” Jamie said, taking the hair band back off her wrist. She was about to attempt a ponytail again but had a sudden change of mind and shoved the band into her bag. Next she tried sweeping her hair all onto one side but that didn’t work either.
“Just stop it,” she said to her reflection. She shook her head again so that her hair fell back into its natural position. “It’ll be fine.”
Today was Jamie’s first day at her new job. She’d  flown to England, leaving her family back in Canada, to take over the role of Detective Inspector at a small police station in the middle of the British countryside.
“Open the door,” she instructed herself. She obeyed. “Good, good. Oh…hello.”
Two men stared at her from the far side of the room. Neither of them spoke as they took in her appearance. 

* Please note this is a first draft and this extract may or may not change/be included in the final version *

What's your first impression of Jamie? Please leave a comment below, I'd love to know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment