Monday 11 February 2013

Interview: Lila Veen

What have you had published?

Besides a whole mess of fan fiction (and I strategically use the word “mess”), Killing Kate is my first book to be published.
What genre(s) of book do you write?
I tend to stick with romantic suspense and throw some erotica in there just to make sure people are paying attention!  Right now I’m working on a family saga with a supernatural element.
What inspired you to write your first book?
I wanted to write a book that took place in Chicago and involved a psychological disorder I’ve always been fascinated with.
How long did it take you to write “Killing Kate”?
Three months to write and three months to re-work.
What is the working title of your next book(s)?
I’m working on a four part family saga, the first of which is tentatively called “Flame”.
When and why did you begin writing?
When I was just out of college, I had a really boring job that I could perform with my eyes closed.  I started writing to pass the time and found out that I really enjoyed it, so it because a hobby outside of work.
Do you self publish your books or go through an agency?
I self-publish for now.
What part of writing books do you find the hardest?
Keeping everything straight!  I’ve actually adopted a new practice of keeping hand written notes of everything – setting, characters, plot, quirks, etc – that way I don’t have to scroll through my documents and have my notes at my fingertips.
What do you do in your spare time?
Besides writing, I participate in community theatre, read anything that’s a series and shuttle my two kids off to various lessons.
Who is your favourite author?
Do I have to pick one?!  I love Orson Scott Card, Vladimir Nabokov and V.C. Andrews, but I wouldn’t want to put those three in a room together.
What’s your favourite genre to read?
Family sagas!  I’m always looking for a new one to read.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
Write it and share it.  Even if you think it’s crap, do it.
Is there anything else you’d like to add?
Feel free to check out my book, Killing Kate, on Amazon.com, and let me know what you think!  I love to hear all reviews – good or bad.  I’d rather get a bad review from someone than no review at all.  I say that now….

No comments:

Post a Comment