Saturday 2 February 2013

Review: "Broken Rules" by Elle A. Rose


Broken Rules (The Chronicles of Amber Harris)This is the third book I have read by Elle and I have enjoyed them all. This book follows on from the last one in “The Chronicles of Amber Harris” series. The story tells the tale of how Amber goes to the rescue of Lance’s family and ends up leaving with more than she bargained for.

This is an easy read. To begin with I felt that the plot was a bit forced because it just seemed to be one event after the other with nothing really joining them together. At this point I was debating between giving the book three or fours stars and settled on three and a half because I didn’t feel it was quite as good as the previous book in the series and so did not deserve the same rating as it, however, as I neared the end half of the book things started to pick up pace. I couldn’t put the book down and ending up reading it late into the night, well after I was supposed to be in bed. For the full effect of the book you must read it right to the end as this is what brings it all together.

I have liked Elle’s writing style in all of her books. It flows well and she uses everyday words so that you don’t have to sit with a dictionary by your side. The only thing that lets Elle down is her proofreading, especially in this book. Many times I’ve seen “where” used instead of “were” and there are words missing from several sentences. I think most of the problems where the wrong word has been used is down to spell check correcting a misspelt word and replacing it with the wrong word e.g. “get” and “got.”

Saying all of this, something that never fails to impress me with Elle’s writing is her ability to create characters and make them life-like.

(4/5 Stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment