Friday 19 July 2013

Interview: Dakota Madison/Karen Mueller Bryson

What have you had published?
My Dakota Madison romance novels include: Matchplay; Fire on Ice; Be Good, Slow No Wake, Still Fine at Forty and After Alex Died. In addition, Fair Play, (Book Two in the Matchplay series) is scheduled for release next week.
     I have also published adult fiction, non-fiction and books for teens and tweens under my legal name, Karen Mueller Bryson.
What genre(s) of book do you write?
My Dakota Madison books as all contemporary romance novels. I write in other genres under my given name.
What inspired you to write your first book?
I wrote my first book when I was four years old! I’ve wanted to write ever since I learned how to read.
How long did it take you to write “After Alex Died”?
I have been writing a novel every month since November 2012. After I wrote Still Fine at Forty for National Novel Writing Month, I decided to challenge myself to write a novel every month for a year. I’m now on my ninth novel! I have been blogging about my progress here:
What is the working title of your next book(s)?
As I mentioned, Book Two of the Matchplay series, Fair Play will be released next week and Book Three, Final Play, is scheduled for release in August. I am also in the process of writing Book Two of the Fire on Ice Series, The Playmaker, which will be released in September.
When and why did you begin writing?
I have been writing my entire life, ever since I learned to read. I get tremendous joy from telling stories and I love to immerse myself in my characters’ lives.
Do you self publish your books or go through an agency?
I own my own small publishing company, Short on Time Books. I publish my work as well as the work of six other authors.
What part of writing books do you find the hardest?
Because I work full time as a university professor I find it difficult to find enough time to write everything I would like to write. I currently have nine “to be written” books swimming around in my head!
What do you do in your spare time?
When I’m not teaching or writing, I spend time with my husband and our bloodhounds. I like to read, watch movies and travel.
Who is your favourite author?
It’s difficult for me to select just one! There are so many authors I enjoy reading. In the romance genre, I really like the work on Colleen Hoover, Tammara Webber, Simone Elkeles and Charles Sheehan-Miles.
What’s your favourite genre to read?
I read nearly every genre but I most enjoy romance and autobiography.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
Try to write every day, even if it is just a paragraph or two. It’s important to set a consistent writing habit.
Is there anything else you’d like to add?
Thank you so much for interviewing me! I appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment