Tuesday 18 December 2012

Interview: Caroline A. Godin



What have you had published?
I have actually spent my career writing ... just not books! At various times, I've written freelance for magazines, board games, newspapers, and even corporate communications and copy writing.  But most of my career has been spent working in television program production, and part of that has involved writing. HER CHRISTMAS PRINCE is actually my first novel. 
What genre(s) of book do you write?
I read my first Mills & Boon when I was about 6 years of age and romance captured me at that point.  It's probably my favourite genre.  I also do like thriller/suspense type stories if they aren't too gorey. At this point, I am focusing on my "Love in the Keys" series, which is a series of connected romances all set in the Florida Keys.  But I am working on a paranormal romance series and a cozy mystery series as well, those will probably start to appear in 2014. 
What inspired you to write your first book?
A lifetime love of reading and great stories. I love getting lost in someone else's world. And I finally decided to try and write a book myself, it was quite scary, actually.  Turning it loose into the world is a bit like standing naked on the street corner, or at least it feels that way! 
How long did it take you to write ‘Her Christmas Prince”?
It took me about four months to write the book, and another couple of months to revise and wrestle with the plot details. 
What is the working title of your next book(s)?
My next book will be out in February and is called HER ONLINE VALENTINE.  It will be the second title in the "Love in the Keys" series. 
When and why did you begin writing?
I think I've always been a writer.  I actually have my first story ever, that I wrote when I was 6.  It won a prizeat the school fair.   
Do you self publish your books or go through an agency?
At this time, I am choosing to self publish. I still may go the traditional route but I like being the CEO of my own publishing company and getting final input into every decision. I also love having the direct contact with readers. 
What part of writing books do you find the hardest?
Writing requires a certain amount of discipline. There are days when you don't feel particularly inspired, but you have to put your bottom in the chair and keep slogging through. Ideas are never the problem, I have a million, it is sitting down in actually plotting out the story and getting it down on paper while you're still excited about it. 
What do you do in your spare time?
I have a rescue dog called Reilly who takes up a lot of my time with walks. I love reading, of course, and enjoy films, television and live music. I enjoy cooking, but am not quite up to Nigella's standard yet. I also took a course in how to make jams and jellies this year, which was quite interesting. I collect antique cookbooks and original animation cels of famous cartoon dogs. 
Who is your favourite author?
Just one?  Impossible, they are so many great writers.   Off the top of my head but by no means a comprehensive list .... Jane Austen, Debbie Macomber, Susan Wiggs, Sandra Marton, Marie Ferrarella, Rachelle McCalla, and Janet Evanovich. 
What’s your favourite genre to read?
I generally go to romance first, but really am quite an eclectic reader and read across all genres.  What I am reading right now is:  Daring Greatly by Brene Brown (non-fiction), Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich (romance/mystery), The Plot Whisperer by Martha Alderson (writing craft), The Christmas Sisters by Annie Jones (Christmas fiction), and Diary of a Player: How My Musical Heroes Made a Guitar Man Out of Me by Brad Paisley (autobiography) 
Do you have any advice for other writers?
Keep writing! It's important to build the habit of writing every day, even if it is just a page.   And network with other writers on Facebook or through organizations. I've been so lucky to be encouraged and mentored by some phenomenal writers. It has made all the difference in giving me the courage to actually publish my first book.
Is there anything else you’d like to add?
Thank you so much for having me on the blog, Katie. It was a real pleasure. I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and all good things in the coming new year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment