Saturday 24 November 2012

Interview: Daniel Kelley

What have you had published?  
As an author?  Nothing!  As a composer/arranger, far too much.  But I've incorporated poems into some compositions under the anagram 'Edy Nell Aleki'.
What genre(s) of book do you write?  
I don't have a specific genre I write.  Stories meander through my thoughts and days and I write down the tale I'm trying to figure out.
What inspired you to write your first book?  
The desire to clear my head.  I wrote a novel 10 years ago.  Fantastic story, terrible prose.  I decided to teach myself how to write and edit by writing short stories.  I've written quite a few, and am always inspired to do so because it's truly invigorating to write out what swims upstairs.  The readers will judge whether I've learned to edit or not...
How long did it take you to write ‘A Wind Doth Blow’?
Maybe 2 weeks, but not working on it full-time!
What is the working title of your next book(s)?
Not a clue.  But it'll come to me all of a sudden, as always.
When and why did you begin writing?  
August, 2001.  I got tired of coming up with reasons why I never sat down and tried to write. 
Do you self publish your books or go through an agency?  
Self-publish!
What part of writing books do you find the hardest?  
Finding time to remain involved within the story I'm writing.  In addition to work, I have 3 children and a lovely wife.  I enjoy spending time with all of them.
What do you do in your spare time?   
I read, bake and walk off the baking.

Who is your favourite author? 
Hmmmm.  Rosamunde Pilcher, John Irving, Somerset Maugham.  
What’s your favourite genre to read?  
No favorite genre, just great stories with great characters that are well written.  I've read hundreds and hundreds of books.  Right now I'm reading The End of Alice by A.M. Homes.
Do you have any advice for other writers?  
Yes.  Don't take any advice from me!
Is there anything else you’d like to add?  
I hope to write more.  I hope I'm not a terrible writer who just thinks he's good.  These answers all seem so egocentric, but I guess I am the one being interviewed...

No comments:

Post a Comment