Wednesday 7 November 2012

Interview: Elle A. Rose


What have you had published?
Besides ‘Hideaway Hill’ I have also published ‘Last Teardrop: The Chronicles of Amber Harris’ a YA vampire novel, and a short story called ‘Frozen’, which is a part of the Hapless Halloween anthology my writing group put together.  
What genre(s) of book do you write?
I tend to write in the YA, paranormal, sci-fi/fantasy and romance genres. But then again, I think if the mood struck me, and I had an idea I couldn’t shake, I’d be willing to try something new.
What inspired you to write your first book?
I’ve always wanted to write. For years, the thought of writing a book sat with me. It wasn’t until I finally had a thought/storyline, which continued to play over and over in my mind that I decided to sit down and put the idea to paper (or computer screen, since I don’t write anything down first. I just type.)
How long did it take you to write ‘Hideaway Hill’?
‘Hideaway Hill’ took about four months to write. Maybe a little less, I lose track of time. I have to sometime take breaks while writing a story. I become so wrapped-up living through the characters that I fight sleep, and hate to be pulled away from the computer even to eat!
What is the working title of your next book(s)?
Currently, I’m working on the second instalment of The Chronicles of Amber Harris (it’s in edit mode and I hope to have it on ebook by Dec/Jan). ‘Wayward Love’ will be my next romance—I haven’t set a release date for that yet. And I am now writing the third book in The Chronicles of Amber Harris. 
When and why did you begin writing?
I always wanted to write a book. I think I finally committed to attempting my hand at the writing world in October of 2009.  I’d read a lot of books: romance, YA and other genres, and I remember finishing a book (I won’t say which one) and finally realizing that I really wanted to tell my story. I wondered how it would turn out since I never took a writing class, and had no clue what was involved in creating a novel.  I didn’t tell anyone for a while that I was writing. I was almost 8 chapters into the story before I revealed my project to my husband. 
Do you self publish your books or go through an agency?
All of my books are self published via Amazon--paperback and ebook, and Barnes and Noble Nook. I hope to one day go through an agency, yet I’m enjoying learning the publishing world through the eyes of an indie author.
What part of writing books do you find the hardest?
For me there are a few things I find hard about writing a book.
  1. I think I maybe the worst speller in the world! Sometimes the computer doesn’t know what I’m trying to spell. (So embarrassing!)
  2. Editing- Ugh! I do a lot of the editing myself. So with incorrect spellings or missing the proper punctuation can be troublesome. 
What do you do in your spare time?
Spare time? There’s no such thing. (lol) I guess if I do have some spare time, you would find me reading, writing, or watching TV with the hubby. My best friend and I also try to do a ladies’ night at least once a week too.
Who is your favourite author?
I have so many series that I love to read. A lot of authors’ names are running through my head. Still, the one and only person hands-down for all time favourite author is Stephenie Meyers. 
What’s your favourite genre to read?
My favourite genres are romance and YA. I’m a sucker for a love story, so those two combined and I’m overly ecstatic. As long as it isn’t too gruesome (I have an overactive imagination, and can’t sleep if I am seeing the creepy things I just read about hiding in the shadows) I will read it.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
My advice for other writers: Never give up. Share your work with family and friends, they’ll be your biggest supporters. And, if you haven’t already, join a writers group. Your family and friends maybe supportive but your writing group will understand the creative world your in.
Is there anything else you’d like to add?
I want to say thank you, Katie! This was fun and an honor to do. I look forward to any other questions or comments and can be followed on Twitter: Elle_A_Rose or found on Facebook: Elle A. Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment